Spaghetti Squash with Meat SauceJan 01, 2022 01:40PM ● By beefitswhatsfordinner.com
Recipe Courtesy of: Beef It's What's For Dinner
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added or regular tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian-Style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- Thinly sliced fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes to develop flavors, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in basil, if desired.
Meanwhile, place squash in 8 x 8-inch microwave-safe baking dish, overlapping halves slightly. Microwave on HIGH 10 to 12 minutes or until squash is tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Scrape squash with fork to separate strands.
- Serve sauce over squash. Serve with Toppings, if desired.
Italian-Style Beef Sausage Variation:
Prepare Italian-Style Beef Sausage by combining 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner) with 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Proceed as directed in step 1.
To Roast Spaghetti Squash: Place squash halves, cut-side down, in 13 x 9-inch ovenproof baking dish. Bake in 350°F oven 45 to 55 minutes or until squash is tender.