Five Things to do When Preparing for a DivorceSep 28, 2021 01:53PM ● By Amanda Engel, The Duncan Law Firm, LLP
By: Amanda Engel, The Duncan Law Firm, LLP
Divorces are very difficult situations. If you are thinking about a divorce or have decided that a divorce is the next step you need to take, there are five things that you can do now to help make the process less stressful.
1. Prepare yourself. Divorce is a complicated and sometimes messy process. Taking a little time to mentally prepare yourself for this difficult process will help you emotionally in the long run.
2. Seek legal advice. An experienced family law attorney can walk you step-by-step through the divorce process so that you are fully aware of what you will be going through. Divorce is a complicated process. It does not just involve the ending of the marriage and often there are many other issues that must be resolved. An attorney can also educate you on alimony, child support, child custody, and division of property and assets.
3. Begin gathering important documents. If you begin to gather documents before or at the very beginning of the divorce process, you will be prepared for the legal process to come. Some important documents include mortgages, loans, deeds, pre-nuptial agreements, and tax statements.
4. Understand your financial circumstances. Having a good idea where you and your spouse stand financially will help you and your attorney determine what marital assets you are entitled to.
5. Talk with your family and friends. Divorces can take an emotional toll on everyone involved. To help you through the process, talk with your close family and friends about your decision. By seeking support from them, you can create an emotional support system. Having people to support you will help you through this difficult and emotional process.