Keep Your A/C Happy in the SummerJun 28, 2021 07:14PM ● By Foley’s Heating & Air Conditioning
By: Foley’s Heating & Air ConditioningNow that summer is in full swing and outdoor temperatures justify indoor air conditioning; and while enjoying the outdoors is hopefully priority number one, having a comfortable, cool place to retreat to once the outside fun is done should be priority number two.
Ensuring your A/C unit is operating effectively and stays that way is the difference between summer fun and summer done.
1. Schedule annual maintenance checks with a pro The best thing you can do is find a reputable HVAC company to clean and inspect your system seasonally. Experts can help recognize and diagnose potential issues before you end up with a broken air conditioner at the hottest time of the year.
2. Clean and change your filters regularly Taking proper care of your filters is probably the easiest and most effective thing you can do to keep your A/C unit healthy. Vacuum and rinse reusable filters in between your maintenance visits and replace them as recommended for optimum air quality.
3. Make sure the area surrounding an outdoor unit is clear Keep the surrounding area neatly maintained to ensure nothing interferes with the system’s ability to function.
4. Avoid opening and closing your doors and windows too often If you are constantly opening and closing windows and doors, the temperature inside your home rises or falls accordingly, and your system must work harder to consistently adjust.
5. Seal any openings that may let cold air escape Make sure you apply caulking, weather stripping, and insulation as needed to prevent cool air loss.
6. Let the unit rest when you are not home You save the most money and energy if you maintain a consistent temperature while you are home but let your system rest when you are away.
7. Manage and clean vents Clean vents regularly. If you keep vents open in rooms, keep the doors to those rooms closed to help the smaller space reach the desired temperature sooner.