By: Dawn Van Nieuwenhuyzen, Plains Commerce Bank Senior Mortgage Banker
1) What’s it like being a businesswoman and mother? I’ve had to accept that I will never truly have balance and I’m not going to be the best at everything! There are times when I’m stressed because I can’t get something done at work and times when I’m stressed because I can’t get something done at home. There’s always give and take. You just have to love your family and love your job and be the best you can be.
2) How do you balance working and being a mother? One of the things about mortgage is that your phone rings all hours of the day. I started mortgage when my oldest kids were 5 and 2. When they were little, I always left work at 5:00 PM. I would leave my laptop and phone in the car, and my kids would have all of me until they went to bed at 8:30 PM. Then I would finish whatever I needed to from the workday.
3) What tips do you have for making a weekly schedule? Be organized and have a great support system. When the kids were little, it was amazing daycare support. As they’ve gotten older, I’ve been more organized like having lunches packed the night before and doing laundry during the week. Get things done at certain times so that everything else works.
4) What tips do you have for mothers who are trying to find a good work-life balance? Accept that you can’t do it all and have a support system of people who can help you in place. There’s nothing wrong with asking for help! Whatever you need to do to survive and be happy.
5) What advice do you give yourself? When I started out, my rule was “Do what you say you will do.” If you tell a customer you’re going to call them that day, call them. And that is still exactly what I tell myself. It’s so important! And if you don’t know the answer, be honest and tell them, then get back to them as soon as you do.
All credit and loan products are subject to credit approval. Loan programs subject to qualification.
Dawn Van Nieuwenhuyzen – Senior Mortgage Banker – NMLS# 21096 – Plains Commerce Bank NMLS# 463950
Article snapshot: Plains Commerce Bank Senior Mortgage Banker Dawn Van Nieuwenhuyzen has six tips for balancing life as a businesswoman and mother!