Family Fun Without Driving Far
Jul 28, 2020 08:22AM
By Vern Eide Motorcars
By: Vern Eide Motorcars
There are plenty of family-fun activities to do right in your backyard. This may be true for your actual backyard, but it’s definitely true for destinations in or around Sioux Falls. Here are just a few places you can visit with your family for a little bit of a staycation.
**Hours and availability may vary due to COVID-19 pandemic.**
○ Sioux Falls Bike Trail - Hit the bike trails with your family and make your way around Sioux Falls with beautiful stops along the way. Pack a picnic to eat at Falls Park along the way.
○ Palisades State Park - Book a camping site and spend a few days in the beauty that is Palisades State Park. Your family can go on hikes, go fishing, or canoe/kayak. If camping isn’t your thing, cabins are also available to rent.
○ Kirby Science Discovery Center at The Washington Pavilion - With the science exhibits at the Kirby Science Discovery Center, your kids can have fun while learning. (I know, right?!?) With exhibits about space, dinosaurs, and more, your kids are certain to enjoy a trip to the Kirby Science Discovery Center.
○ Great Plains Zoo - Leopards and Tigers and Bears, oh my! Pack up the fam and head to the zoo. Have them learn and experience animals from around the globe.
○ Good Earth State Park - Enjoy the outdoors with a visit to Good Earth State Park. Go for a family hike, birdwatch, or just learn about the historical significance of the site.
○ Butterfly House & Aquarium - Let your children get hands-on experience learning about butterflies and ocean life. With more than 800 butterflies from every corner of the globe in their 3,600 square foot space, it’s the home of the Dakota’s largest insectarium.
○ Pettigrew Home & Museum - History Buffs Alert! Tour the Pettigrew Home that was built in 1889. Take a guided tour of the restored home and learn about Senator Richard Franklin Pettigrew. Experience exhibit galleries telling the story of Pettigrew’s works and of a growing city on the prairie.
○ Mary Jo Wegner Arboretum - With wetlands, gardens, and native plants, the Arboretum provides recreation and education for families. Your family can learn the history of the area, hike on walking trails, utilize the canoe launch, learn about historic quarrying and stone cutting operations, or enjoy the many lush gardens.
○ Children’s Museum of South Dakota - Take your family on the short drive north to Brookings and enjoy the Children’s Museum of South Dakota. There are TONS of fun exhibits both indoors and outdoors for them to enjoy.
○ Outdoor Campus - You and your kids can learn some fun new outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, cross-country skiing, and bow and arrow shooting. Learn new ways to enjoy the outdoors.