April Showers Bring May Flowers
Apr 30, 2020 08:36PM
By Boys and Girls Club
By: Boys and Girls Club of the Sioux Empire
This is a fun and creative way for children & parents to make arts & craft flowers from items you probably have around the house. These flowers can be used to brighten a room or given away as a gift to brighten anyone’s day.
Chose Materials You Plan to Use
Paper plates of different sizes and/or coffee filters for petals
Paper cupcake liners and or disposable cups for the center
Paints, markers, magazine pictures cut in smaller pieces, or tissue paper to decorate the petals
Buttons, stickers, seeds, beads, pom-poms or macaroni to add to the center
Straws, pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks etc. for stems
1. Begin by choosing which sized & type materials you would like to make your flowers from.
2. Start by cutting slits around the outside of the object to make the petals of the flowers. You can repeat with a variety of different sizes to put together to make a flower. You can add as many layers as you want with any type of circle you want for more petals.
3. Now it is time to add color to the paper plates with paint, markers or gluing on tissue paper or cut up magazine pictures. (homemade paint recipes can be found online)
4. If you want to create make more than one layer to your paper plate, glue each layer on top of the large paper plate.
5. Now it’s time to add the center to your flower using any of the additional small items to create a texture.
6. Add stem if desired, let dry, then display or gift to someone.