Nurture Your baby Through Baby Wearing
Feb 28, 2019 11:14AM
By The Hood Magazine
Gaddis, Educated Mommy
The carrier you
choose will be dependent on a variety of factors and there are resources
available that will let you try on carriers before making that purchasing
decision. Find the carrier that is right for you and your lifestyle and experience
the benefits of babywearing!
- Worn Babies Cry Less
- Studies as early as 1986 provided parents with a carrier and were told to wear their baby 3 extra hours per day at various states (fussy, sleepy, happy, etc) not just when crying. The results reported that the babies that were worn more time cried 43% less than the other babies…they cried 54% less during the evening hours!
- Worn Babies Learn More
- In kangaroo carry, baby has a 180 degree view of their environment and can scan their world, choosing what to look at, which is the very beginnings of the decision making process in their world.
- Worn Babies Instill Confidence
- Parents can be pro-active with their child’s needs. Babies are close enough that caregiver can see the breathing and can watch for feeding cues. When baby is close to caregiver, then they can demonstrate to baby that they will meet their emotional and physical needs before baby has to raise heart rate and emotional instability.
- Worn Babies Can Recreate the Womb Environment
- When babies are able to be worn, it helps to recreate the womb environment to automatically regulate their systems. Attachment researchers all agree that in order for a baby’s emotional, intellectual and physiological systems to function optimally, the continued presence of the mother is a necessary regulatory influence.
- The familiar rhythm, which is imprinted on baby’s mind in the womb, now appears in the “outside womb” and calms the baby. As baby places her ear against her mother’s chest, mother’s heartbeat reminds baby of the sounds of the womb. The benefits of babywearing “remind” the baby of this and continues the motion and balance enjoyed in the womb.
- Worn Babies Can Bond with Caregivers
- Carriers are a great bonding tool for fathers, grandparents, babysitters and other caregivers. Carriers are beneficial as they allow baby to cuddle up close and forge a strong attachment and let the baby get to know the caregivers voice, movements and facial expressions.