Safety for Everyone! How to Keep Your Bathroom a Safe Space for the Whole Family
Mar 28, 2018 10:08AM
● By The Hood Magazine
By: Handy Man Home Remodeling Center
When it comes to updating your
bathroom, did you know there are ways to make sure it’s a safe space for
everyone in your family?
· Consider a low threshold shower. Easy access into the shower will work well for a child and an adult, or even a visiting grandparent using a walker or cane.
· Add non-slip mat to the floor of your shower or bathtub, to avoid slips and falls.
· Grab bars are a basic safety tool for kids and adults. There are many options to choose from to match your bathroom décor. They’ll provide years of safety at the entrance of tubs, showers and near the toilet.
house smart? Install a faucet that monitors water temperature to ensure children
cannot scald themselves on an unsupervised running faucet.
· Add a semi-permanent toddler seat to your toilet in every bathroom. These easy-to-install seats offer independence to your potty-training toddler, while maintaining the convenience of a traditional toilet seat for the rest of the family.
· Keep a small non-slip stepstool near your toilet to help small children climb up independently.
· Touchless faucets are becoming the latest trend in bathroom design. They’re ideal for children with small hands and work well when it comes to eliminating germs.
· Single-lever faucets provide more temperature control and help to prevent scalding.
· Add a simple plastic extender to your faucet to help children wash their hands without having to use a stepstool.
· Use a bathmat with a strong non-slip grip underneath, to ensure steady feet while getting out of the tub.
· Keep cleaning products out of reach by either storing them up high, or adding locks to lower cabinet doors and drawers.
· Keep medicines out of reach by installing a mirrored medicine cabinet over the sink with a child-proof lock.
As technology advances, think of ways you can incorporate new ideas into your bathroom design that will keep your family members safe for decades to come.