Saving on Summer Camp Supplies
Feb 25, 2018 09:01PM
● By The Hood Magazine
By: Shaina Herrmann
There are several ways to find the necessary supplies while still maintaining a budget:
● Borrow camping supplies from close friends and family. This is one of the best ways to avoid purchasing things if you’re only going to need them for a short time. Many people have these items packed away and out of use for most of the year and would be happy to loan them to you.
● Always keep an eye out online for printable coupons for toiletries and many of the popular sunscreens and bug repellants.
● If you have multiple kids who will be attending camp this year, buy your toiletries in bulk. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, chapstick, face wash and shampoo are usually cheaper when several are purchased at once. Even better, if you can go in together with other parents to buy in bulk, you’ll save even more.
● If your kids are in need of swimwear, rain gear, or any special clothing for camp, first check the local consignment stores. These stores are often forgotten when buying new clothes, yet these are stores where you can find some of the best deals! You could also spend a week or two checking out online resources and garage sales to see what you can find.
● Stick to the number suggestions on the packing or supply lists. Make a point to not buy more than what is needed or add anything to the list when you are shopping.
● Save and reuse items for multiple years. Designate specific supplies as “for camp use only.” Put them away in a storage bin you can quickly gather up each year. This way you will not be searching all over the house for your child’s favorite flashlight!