Easy (and Free) Ways to Burn Calories, No Gym Required!
● By Hood Magazine
By Shaina Herrmann, Shaina’s Deals
It’s the little changes that will make the biggest difference. You can burn hundreds of extra calories throughout the day without setting foot in the gym!
- Need to pick up a few things from the store? Instead of driving, take a walk to the store instead.
- Increase your speed as you walk the dog.
- Standing instead of sitting. Whether you are at the DMV, cooking dinner, on the phone, or at your computer. Choosing to stand will burn about 20% more calories than if you were sitting.
- Run up and down stairs instead of walking whenever you have the chance.
- Carry loads of laundry up and down the stairs.
- Replace your office chair with your exercise ball. You need to engage the core muscles to maintain stability and this will help to strengthen those muscles.
- Complete a thorough cleaning of your home for 30+ minutes. As you vacuum, mop the floors, and wash the windows, continuously increase movement to be faster than your usual speed.
- Every week, garden and mow for 30 minutes each. In the winter, shovel snow and offer to shovel for your neighbors as well.
- Swap the car for your bike a couple times a week.
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator.
- Always park in the farthest parking spots. You’ll burn more calories just by walking to your destination.