Everyone Can Craft
● By Digital Media Director
By: The Maker’s Nook
There is homework, practices, laundry, dinner to make and so much more on your to-do list. Busy schedules can lead you to believe you might not have time to get crafty, but that’s not true! Not every project needs to be Pinterest worthy; sometimes the simplest items are all you need to keep your little one’s creative mind entertained.
1. The classic paper and crayons. Be sure to keep some paper on hand. It can be plain white, construction paper, or even a cheap coloring book. Sometimes you just need a couple minutes to finish supper and instead of grabbing the tablet, reach for some paper and crayons or colored pencils. Have them free draw, color a picture, or give them a theme to draw and see what they make.
2. Glue sticks. Glue sticks are relatively mess free and should be a staple in your craft drawer. Cutting and pasting is something that is always fun for the younger ages. If you have older children, the simple basics of arts and crafts doesn’t have to be boring. Challenge them to cut and paste a 3D animal!
3. Washable paint. Everyone loves a good painting project. Whether you need it for painting detail on your craft, or you happen to grab a blank canvas the next time you’re at the store, painting can always be fun. Tip: Pick up a large piece of poster board at the store! Poster board if reasonable to buy and laying a large piece on the floor for multiple children to work at together can make for great fun.
4. Bag of rice. Keeping a bag of rice on hand for projects can come in very handy. Rice in plastic Easter eggs makes for great “shakers” plus there are endless sensory opportunities you can do with rice. Grab those single socks that have lost their mates and get to work: a snowman and an octopus are simple things you can make with a sock and rice!
5. Recyclables. Hang on to the magazine or newspaper you are finished with. An empty egg carton, can, and of course paper towel rings are all great as well. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on art supplies. Keep these items on hand, and there will be no shortage of masterpieces you can create.