Easy (and Free) Ways to Burn Calories, No Gym Required!
08/25/2016 08:20AM ● Published by Hood Magazine
It’s the little changes that will make the biggest difference. You can burn hundreds of extra calories throughout the day without setting foot in the gym!
- Need to pick up a few things from the store? Instead of driving, take a walk to the store instead.
- Increase your speed as you walk the dog.
- Standing instead of sitting. Whether you are at the DMV, cooking dinner, on the phone, or at your computer. Choosing to stand will burn about 20% more calories than if you were sitting.
- Run up and down stairs instead of walking whenever you have the chance.
- Carry loads of laundry up and down the stairs.
- Replace your office chair with your exercise ball. You need to engage the core muscles to maintain stability and this will help to strengthen those muscles.
- Complete a thorough cleaning of your home for 30+ minutes. As you vacuum, mop the floors, and wash the windows, continuously increase movement to be faster than your usual speed.
- Every week, garden and mow for 30 minutes each. In the winter, shovel snow and offer to shovel for your neighbors as well.
- Swap the car for your bike a couple times a week.
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator.
- Always park in the farthest parking spots. You’ll burn more calories just by walking to your destination.