Italian Marinated Steak with Grilled Ratatouille
04/25/2015 12:59PM ● Published by Hood Magazine
Photo courtesy of South Dakota Beef
- 1 beef top round steak, cut 1 inch thick (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 large red or yellow bell pepper, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half
- 1-1/2 c chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/3 c lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/2 c Italian dressing
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak and 1/2 c marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator.
Remove 2 tbsp of reserved marinade for ratatouille; set aside. Brush vegetables (except tomatoes) with some of remaining reserved marinade.
Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange vegetables around steak. Grill steak, covered, 12 to 14 minutes for medium-rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.) Grill eggplant and bell peppers 12 to 15 minutes; zucchini and yellow squash 8 to 12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and basting with remaining reserved marinade.
Cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Carve steak into thin slices. Cover and refrigerate 1 c each vegetables and steak slices to use in steak and grilled vegetable salad. For ratatouille, combine remaining vegetables, tomatoes, basil and reserved 2 tbsp marinade in medium bowl; toss to coat. Season ratatouille and remaining steak with salt and black pepper, as desired. Serve ratatouille with steak.